Time is ticking away as the date to submit my application for EAP (education abroad program) draws nearer. I have decided UNSW is my number 1, and UQ is number 2. I have learned that I am allowed by the College of Letters & Sciences (at UCSB), and EAP (should the host uni give the OK) to extend from the spring semester (Feb-June) to the year program (Feb-Nov), and that financial aid would extend, even though I will have been at UCSB for 2 years and a quarter (extending to fall 13, after I would normally graduate Spring 13). Apparently as a transfer student, I can get aid for 9 quarters, and that would top me out at 8. However, I'm only applying for the spring semester, and have a form signed saying I'm allowed to extend should the opportunity arise, and I decide I want to. I haven't made up my mind yet. Its a long time to be gone, but it would be awesome.
Also, getting anxious about my impending trip to Costa Rica!! It seems very unorganized as far as communicating with participants, but I've been nagging the contact/leader guy, so I hope he's not sick of me yet.
Speaking of Costa Rica... I'm writing my term paper for History of Mammals on sloth locomotion. Sloths are so freaking cool. Slow... yes. The max out at about 0.47 m/s (that's about 1 mph!!), and can go as slow as 0.02 m/s. Also, the two extant lineages of sloths are NOT closely related. They share a common ancestor about 30 million years ago!
Left: Choloepus spp. - Two-toed sloth (smallmammalchannel.com)
Below: Bradypus spp. - Three-toed sloth (worldwildlife.org)



So cool! yay sloths!
ReplyDelete