Saturday, January 14, 2012

'Ere blow the winds of change...

In regards to a previous post, vis à vis, "Kiwis attack!", I believe I have been able to resolve the majority of the issues preventing me from a semester abroad at the university of my choosing:
1) Paying rent. Since I have an "in" with the landlord, and we're not on a yearly lease (month-to-month) we could move out. Meaning, Richard would find another place (this was his idea) for the duration of my term abroad, and after I return, we merge again. This relieves the idea of my having to pay rent both in SB and abroad.
2) The UC fees are included in program cost estimates, and financial aid and scholarships are available and can apply directly to the program. As they say on the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) website - you can take your financial aid with you!

So there. I just have to tell my parents. The term I intend to study abroad is the Spring semester for 2013. The timing might conflict with graduation, but I can push my graduation to the end of summer or something (this is on the list of things to talk to my counselor about). I plan on doing an immersion program, so I can get the most out of the country's culture and lifestyles, as opposed to just being around other UC students (which would prevent me from gaining as much cultural experience! Its like what the tourists would do vs what the locals do, and I want a local's perspective).

Basically, Richard and I had a long talk, and it came down to him reminding me that its something that I want to do, and that I would regret not doing it (for a while I was convinced it would not be possible, so I gave up). We agreed that it would be a great experience for me, and he wishes he had done it in his college years. So I'm applying this spring for next year. I'm working on planning out all my UD major courses to have those completed by the time the program starts (ie, be done with those in the fall quarter). I am also researching where I want to go, and what courses are available to me, that would count as (most likely) elective credit. I have lots of questions to take to my counselors.

I started my tax returns already, and started my FAFSA, but am waiting on the 1098-T form from school to make sure I'm not missing anything. Sadly, that's not ready yet, and I wanted to submit everything as early as possible to have the greatest chance of getting financial aid.

As for this quarter, I'm attempting to manage intro genetics, ethology and behavioral ecology, and an american institutions requirement, american art history from 1860-1920.

WOOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment