"Don't let us down"
That's what Kevin, the Ungulates supervisor said to me yesterday afternoon.
He and Erica, the lead Ungulate keeper called me over to their break table after lunch, saying they wanted to discuss something with me.
I immediately assume that I broke something and was going to get a reprimand, judging by the smileless faces as I approached.
Break something? Oh, no. It was just their serious face.
He offered me a job.
After my first cross-train day with their department, Erica had asked me if I had any interest in a job in their department. "If a position were to open up.... Would you be interested in applying?". Um, heck yes. Sign me up. Because I knew they were looking to hire at least one keeper for the fall.
The second time I cross-trained, it was brought to my attention to actually tell Kevin that I was interested in the open positions, aside from just telling Erica and Katie (another keeper). I told him that day, and he advised me to send in my résumé and cover letter. So, of course, I did.
About a week later, I was told I had already had my working interview (my cross-train days), but would need to have a formal interview the following day. I went in nervous, and I left nervous. Apparently I had nothing to worry about.
Then, yesterday, they offered me a job!! They had two positions to fill, so the one they offered me was the seasonal/temp position, which guarantees full time work for 8-9 months, then goes to part time. However, they are wanting and working really hard to make it another full time permanent position.
So in a few weeks I switch gears from big cats and carnivores to hoofstock, and I'm actually pretty excited. They've got some pretty cool animals, and it's always good to expand your experience.
Here's a few of the animals I will be working with:
Koda (code-adorable), the Pronghorn
Blippo, the hippo (training session)
Zoey, the Scimitar-horned Oryx
Taryn, the White Rhino (she may or may not have been attempting to charge us in this photo.....)
So, I suppose it's only fitting that I should change my blog title... That will be my next blogging step. But now I have to find an apartment, so I can get out of the intern house/barn!
Here's to my next adventure!




Congratulations! And Yay! Looking forward to many more blog worthy adventures.
ReplyDeleteDad (proud one at that)
Wow! You rock! I can hardly wait to see more photos of your new charges! I really like Padrone.
ReplyDeleteI am SOO excited for you! This is awesome, what wonderful experience! I like Blippo! :)
ReplyDelete