E: I need to borrow you for 10-seconds
Me: What? Why?
E: I need you to say a name for me
Me: Umm.... what?
E: Just.. come here.
So I get up and follow her into the other room.
E: Say the name of the hawaiian fish.
Me: Oh... gosh... let me think on that... (trying to remember the name of the fish)
E: Oh! Don't let me down!!!
One of Ev's friends: oh, sure put her on the spot...
Me: It's something like humuhukuapuaa... oh gosh, let me check (I go back to my room to look up the name of the fish)
Google: Hawaiian State Fish
"humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa" And I did my best to remember it as I walked down the hall to tell them.
I got halfway down the hall before I had to go back and look at it.
Once I thought I had it down (again), they made me say it like 5 times.
Me: Don't ask me to spell it or even tell you where the accent goes
And I had to say it again about 4 times so Evelyn could say it too.
Gah...
Challenge: say "humuhumunukunukuapua'a" 5 times fast! Ha.
"The reef, rectangular, or wedge-tail triggerfish, also known by its Hawaiian name, humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa, also spelled Humuhumunukunukuapua'a or just humuhumu for short; meaning "fish that grunts like a pig" for the sound it makes when cornered or caught" - photo and blurb courtesy of wikipedia

lol I can't say that even once! I'll just go with 'fish that grunts like a pig' haha
ReplyDelete